Giving your Tallahassee home a fresh look can be as easy as giving it a new coat of paint. One of the most commonly overlooked home improvement projects is merely adding a different coat of paint to your home’s exterior. In fact, it is one of the top five value-adding home improvement projects that can be done to your home.
According to multiple experts, exterior and interior paint jobs consistently rank in the top five for home improvement projects that can add value to your home. When it comes time to sell the home, you want to make sure that the projects you have undertaken previously will reap a benefit financially. Not every project is considered to be a wise investment. While theoretically every home improvement or renovation project adds value to your home, since you are putting money into your home through added materials and labor, not every project realizes a return on your investment. Others only add marginal value to your home’s worth. That makes it important for you to think about the projects you are considering and find out if they are deemed good financial investments. As mentioned above, paint jobs are considered wise investments. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when undertaking this project, whether inside or outside the home.
1. Consider a professional painter for your home’s exterior. While a professional painter may even be recommended for your home’s interior, it is nonetheless a project you can take on by yourself. Of course, hiring a professional painter will cost you more, but the result will be a cleaner and more vibrant look.
2. Don’t forget to start with a primer. A base coat of tinted primer will make the paint look a whole lot better. Primer creates a sealed surface for paint, which makes the paint look more vibrant, hiding previous colors and blemishes. They also add to the life of the coat of paint, preventing cracks and peeling. It makes the paint last longer and stay more durable, something extremely important for exterior paint jobs. Don’t forget that primer will actually save you money since it will keep you from having to use up a lot of expensive high-quality paint to cover over previous colors or marks. The tinted primer is less expensive and can act as a first coat.
3. When picking the color, you want to steer clear of outrageous colors that make a home harder to sell. It is a fine balance between your personal tastes and remembering that this is also a home improvement project that can add value to your home in the eyes of potential future buyers.
4. Pay attention to details. Even if you are overwhelmed with the size of the project, resist the urge to hurry through the preparation or the actual painting. Protect nearby furniture, electrical outlets, woodwork, cabinets, countertops, and exterior surfaces. If you are tempted to rush through this home improvement project, it may be better to let a professional do it.
5. Finally, don’t avoid the more expensive paint just so you can save some money today. Remember that more expensive paint is priced higher for a reason. If you are doing this for your own present enjoyment as well as for purposes of future home value, be willing to spend a little extra on stronger, more vibrant paint.
Those are just five tips to keep in mind when giving your home’s exterior or interior a new coat of paint. It’s a project that can add value to your Tallahassee home years down the road when you decide to sell it. Therefore, keep that in mind every step of the way when undertaking this project.